Thursday, July 16, 2009

I'm Alive!

Well I made it through surgery. I was very scared. I had to be at the hospital at 9:00 am yesterday morning to get ready for my surgery at 11:00. I ended up going in early because they weren't very busy. I got an IV and my blood taken, but it was really hard to get a good vein because I was so dehydrated from not eating or drinking for 12 hours. I got a Spinal from the anesthesiologist (who wasn't very nice to me), as soon as the medicine went in me I couldn't move at all. When I was completely numb I didn't even think I had my legs. I kept saying, "Are those my legs?" Then they gave me something to relax and it did a very good job. I almost fell asleep. They were done with the procedure before I even knew they started. As soon as they moved me on the bed to take me to the recovery room I got really sick and threw up because I was so dizzy. Then later they gave me some ice chips, I had three and I threw up again. I was so miserable. During all this time my bottom half of my body was still numb. I felt like an old, sick lady in the hospital. I finally got moved to my room by being wheeled on the hospital bed. That's when I really felt old and sick. The nurses finally let me eat after what felt like a million hours without food and right in the middle of it my body started itching uncontrollably. I thought I was going to die. I called the nurses station to get me some benadryl, but they didn't bring it to me until 30 minutes later because they had to call the doctor and get an order for it. Well I finally got it and I was so tired that all I wanted to do was fall asleep, but I was still itchy. I didn't even want to eat. An hour later my real nurse came in (she had been with another patient and then had her lunch break, so I had nurses who didn't really care about me). I told the nurse about my bad itching and she realized I'm probably allergic to some medicine they gave my during the surgery. Then I got to thinking they did test me to see if I was allergic to it, but I didn't get hives, so they just kept giving it to me. They did say that 10% of people who are allergic to penicillin (which I am) are allergic to the medicine they gave me. Anyway, about 3 hours later I was itch free and my nurse told me to never let them give it to me again. After that I was pretty accident free. And I did get a nap. I stayed the night in the hospital and got to go home this morning. I'm on bed rest until Monday (I hope). My doctor did tell me though I will probably be on bed rest this whole pregnancy and that I will have to get a cerclage every pregnancy. So who knows how many kids I'll have now!

4 comments:

Taylor Family said...

that is quite the time! I'm glad everything went well though and in no time you won't remember half of it, just like delivery haha :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I hope you get feeling better soon! Sounds like it was pretty rough. I am sorry you will have to do that for every pregnancy. In the last couple of years I have definitely learned that getting pregnant and having babies is not as easy for some people as it is for others. You are definitely a stronger person for it. We will keep you in our prayers!

Chris Whitney Lewis Family said...

I am so excited for you!!! But most of all I am grateful that you made it through surgery. Well keep cooking that baby!!! Lots of Love - Chris, Whitney, Daya & Baby Gatlin

Jeni and Mike said...

Congrats on your future little one! I'm so excited for you guys. I'm sorry you had to go through the surgery, fortunately it's over and you can have less worries about the pregnancy. You're in my prayers!