Sunday, November 25, 2012

Jacob Fenly Rhoton

 Our baby Jake has finally made it! But, like all of my pregnancies, there is always some kind of drama. On Friday, October 26 (34 weeks, 3 days), I was not feeling good all day. I wasn't having contractions, but I was feeling a lot of pressure and really crampy. I drank a ton of water and laid flat the entire day, finally around dinner time I decided to call my doctor. She said try to do all the things I had already been doing.  I told her something just wasn't right, so she had me come into the hospital. I went in and they did some tests, one of them was a fFN test (it tells if you will go into labor within the next 2 weeks). The fFN came back positive, so they kind of freaked out. I wasn't too worried because I had been told that they aren't that accurate. Then the doctor checked if I was dilated. I was 3 cm dilated, so then they really freaked out. Since the hospital here can only handle babies 36 weeks or later they decided to send me to TMC in Tucson. So I got to take my first ambulance ride. I hope I never have to do that again!

I was having a lot of contractions by the time I got to Tucson at midnight. But once I got all checked in and was able to sleep they stopped. Since nothing was happening I got to be put in an Antenatal room. I was really happy about that because the labor and delivery beds are very uncomfortable. It was hard being away from Miki, but luckily she could come and visit.

At 34 weeks and 6 days I got another ultrasound. I was pretty excited about it because not only had I not seen him for awhile, I got to get out of my room!
At 35 weeks 1 day on October 31, I was able to be released from the hospital as long as I stayed in Tucson until 36 weeks. So Jory came down and we stayed at a WorldMark resort. On Sunday November 4 (35 weeks 5 days), I was having contractions and feeling pressure again, so we decided to head to the hospital. I got checked out and put on the monitor. I was having contrations 2 minutes apart and in an hour I had dilated to 5 cm. So I got sent to L&D again. We were sure we would be having a baby that day. But not to long after that the contractions stopped again.
Since I was dilated so much and had a bulging bag of water I was told I would be in the hospital until I delivered the baby. My mom, dad and Miki came down because they figured I would be having the baby right away. I got put in an Antenatal room again and stayed there for a while. I made it to 36 weeks 1 day and still nothing was happening. Finally a different doctor came on and released me.

I got released and was able to go home. I was scared the entire 2 hour drive I was going to have a baby on the side of the road. 
On Wednesday, November 14 (37 weeks, 1 day), also my parents 27th anniversary, I was feeling pretty good, except for the fact I felt like I was walking around with a bowling ball between my legs. In the afternoon I started to have contractions. My doctor told me if I have 5-6 contractions in an hour to head to the hospital. Well I had about 10 in an hour so I figured it was time to go. I got there about 3:30 and was put on the monitors. I was having contractions, but nothing I couldn't handle. I started thinking I could do everything natural. I waited around until 5:30 for the doctor to come. She checked me and I was dilated to 6 cm. She told me I could just wait it out (they wouldn't release me) or she could break my water. I decided to let her break my water. She was going to do it right then, but the nurse started freaking out because I didn't have an IV or my blood drawn yet. So they put in the IV and broke my water at 6:30. I still didn't have my blood drawn yet and if I wanted an epidural I needed to tell them right away because they had a C-Section scheduled for 8. After 2 contractions I knew I wanted an epidural. So I called and waited and waited for them to come draw my blood. Finally a nurse just decided to do it. By the time the anesthesiologist came I was having very close and very intense contractions and dilated to 9. It was too late. So I did it all naturally and I never want to do that again! That is the worse pain I have ever experinced. After 3 pushes Jacob was born at 7:31 pm. He had the cord wrapped around his neck twice, but there was no evidence of it before that. He weighed 7 lbs and was 19 1/2 inches. We love our little guy and so happy he is here and healthy!

We were lucky to have a very healthy baby and an easy recovery for me. We were released 24 hours after he was born. 
Luckily for me he is a good sleeper and eater. We all love him, especially Miki!

1 comment:

The Tucker Family said...

Congratulations! So glad to hear that all turned out well. Can't wait to see some more pictures of the little cutie. You have a beautiful family!!